The Pre Operation
- Before your procedure, wash the genital area with soap with a good shower (not adviceable to shower for 3 days post op)
- If you can, wash behind the foreskin too, but if you cant pull it back, don’t
- Long pubic hair should be trimmed, as this can get in the wound and in the way of the dressing
- Empty your bladder before the procedure
Wear clean, tight underwear to help keep the dressing in place
- Fast for 6 hours if you are going to opt for the sedation
- You will receive a mobile number with direct access to the our Surgeon 24/7. This might be handy especially in the first few days following the procedure
- You will receive a prescription for some local anaesthetic cream that will bring effective relieve when you have a night time erection
- No analgesics (pain killers) are necessary before the procedure
The Post Operation
- Oral analgesics (painkillers) can be used the next day following the procedure.
- Keep the penis and the dressing pointing up (towards your left or right shoulder), this minimizes the swelling and discharge.
- You can remove the dressing 24 – 48 hours after surgery.
- There might be a yellowish/brown straw coloured discharge from the wound. This is completely normal. It might have an odour which is normal too, its just blood and blood plasma.
- Apply dry dressings everyday and wear tight underwear until the dressing is no longer required.
- Avoid showering or bathing for the first three days, this allows the wound to seal properly.
- Gently wipe the area clean daily and or after urination with some baby wipes
Once this time has passed you can shower normally keeping in mind that the glands and wound might be very sensitive
- After 7 days erections are encouraged to start stretching the wound, scar and skin around the shaft gradually
This might be uncomfortable, but over time becomes more tolerable. Use the anaesthetic cream if it is too painful. Apply all around the wound.
- Active daily masturbation pulling the skin behind the corona is encouraged after 14 days to help stretch the skin and is vital if you had a Partial Circumcision. You don’t have to ejaculate but the stretching helps the skin form new elastic tissue.
- Failure to do this in a Partial Circumcision will result in a new phimosis and inevitably a Classic Circumcision.
- Intercourse is possible after 3-4 weeks but be mindful of the healing skin.
- We used the same sedation that is used by daytime procedures in most hospitals.
- The sedation is Midazolam, a benzodiazepine
It is not a general anaesthetic and you will be able to respond if we prompt you to
The sedation might make you feel a little nauseous or sleepy.
- If you are having sedation you cannot drive or operate any machinery for 24 hours
- You should be fasting for at least 6 hours prior to the surgery.
- Sedation is recommended as it helps with the discomfort of the local anaesthetic injections around the penis.
You're in Good Hands
Get in Touch